China is the largest country in East Asia. Because of this, there is a lot of history, tradition, culture and culinary heritage. Chinese food is usually composed of several things, and the main components are usually rice or noodles and vegetables. Chinese cuisine itself also includes a wide variety of materials ranging from bamboo shoot, lotus root, fish, and chicken. Most Chinese cuisine is a blend of ingredients with spices such as curry powder, salt, soy sauce, and garlic.
Chinese cuisine is divided into 8 types according to their areas:
- Cantonese cuisine comes from the region of Guangdong, South China. This cuisine is one of the most famous Chinese cuisines in the world. Some of the most famous Cantonese foods are sweet and sour pork, fried rice cantons, chopped kale, and Chinese steamed eggs.
- Shandong cuisine originated in northern China. Popular Shandong cuisine is squid, crabs and shrimp, usually cooked with broth and wine. Dried seaweed is also popular.
- Hunan cuisine is also known as Xiang cuisine. The food comes from the Xiang River area, located in Hunan province. Hunan cuisine is spicy and has a beautiful color. Hunan cuisine uses more chili, garlic and pepper than the other Chinese cuisines. Some famous Hunan dishes are Dong’an chicken, Beer Duck, Steamed fish head in chili sauce, and Mao’s braised pork.
- Jiangsu cuisine is derived from Jiangsu province. This cuisine uses vegetables as the basic ingredients, such as bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and jujube. Ji-yu soup is probably the most famous dish. It is which made of various types of fish, tofu, and mushrooms in a thick sauce.
- Anhui cuisine is derived from the Huangshan Mountains in China and is similar to Jiangsu cuisine. Anhui cuisine uses more herbs and spices from plants and boils the food. One of the most famous Anhui dishes is the Hodge-Podge soup which is salty and sweet. The soup is made from sea cucumber, fish, squid and assorted vegetables.
- Fujian cuisine, or Hok-Kian, is from Fujian province. It is very savory because it has a broth base. Fujian cuisine uses lots of fish sauce, shrimp paste, wine and sacha sauce. Buddha Jumps over the wall or fó tiào qiáng is a very famous Fujian dish. This food has shark fins, bamboo shoots, seaweed, abalone, ginseng and taro in it.
- Szechuan cuisine is the most famous Chinese cuisine in the world after Cantonese cuisine. It comes from the Szechuan province. Szechuan food uses more garlic and Sichuan pepper. Kung-Pao Chicken is a Szechuan dish made of chicken sautéed with peanuts, vegetables and chilies.
- Zhejiang cuisine has a light flavor and uses pork as the main ingredient. One famous dish is Dongo Pork, which comes from pork belly. Dongo Pork is usually cooked with soy sauce and wine.
Good Neighbor Insurance provides international travel insurance to those visiting China. We also provide expat long term career insurance which you may view here at www.overseastripinsurance.com. Or call one of our professional insurance travel agents at 866-636-9100. Or you may email us at .