Visual photo tour of Lesotho, Africa. We have to admit (having never been there), when we think of South Africa (that region of the world), we don’t usually have a clear picture. So we’re happy to see, and also share, this beautiful photo gallery of “The Kingdom in the Sky” that captures Lesotho in all her beauty.
- Did you know that Lesotho is completely surrounded by South Africa?
- That is has 2.2 million residents?
- That the name “Lesotho” means the land of the people who speak Sotho?
- That the AIDS epidemic infects a third of the population (one of the highest incidences in the world)?
- An estimated 85% of the population (15 and over) is literate, and Lesotho holds one of the highest literacy rates in Africa?
Visit Lesotho – Travel resources:
Volunteer in Lesotho:
Lesotho also has many needs where humanitarian assistance and volunteer services can be effective. Besides AIDS, Sexual violence in Lesotho is a serious problem. One study in Lesotho found that 61% of women reported having experienced sexual violence at some point in their lives. A number of these volunteer opportunities can be found here: http://yhoo.it/1dYSm2Y
And if you decide to go there, Good Neighbor can cover your trip, making sure you have the best, affordable medical coverage to keep you safe. One plan we highly recommend is the Trawick Safe Travels plan that includes emergency evacuation and political evacuation.
Wherever you go, we at GNI help you Travel smarter. Travel safer. Travel for good.